Book Review Program for SC Forum!

5 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Hello Forum Members:

I'd like to start a Book Review program here on ScienceCareers.org's Forum. This is an opportunity to get a great free book as well as earn acclaim and networking points from your moderator, the Advisor Team, and our audience.

Here's how it will work. I will buy the book and send it to you. Your responsibility will be to read it through and then come back to the Forum to post a review of the book. Because of the nature of our short posts here, it will not have to be a lengthy review. Mostly, we're looking for commentary that will spark discussion. As you read the book, pull at LEAST THREE new statements or questions for our audience that you can post in the new Forum thread. The goal is to stimulate the discussion here so that we go into some new and interesting directions. The reviews can be positive or negative or "so-so" -- that's up to you. But you will be expected to come back with several paragraphs of review text and then pull those three ideas or questions out of the book for the audience.

Write me via our internal email system here on the forum if you are interested in taking this on. Please just shoot me an email, tell me which book and why the topic interests you, and I'll reply back if you've been selected to review. Then, we'll get your mail address and send you the book. This is applicable to people in any part of the world, not just the USA.

Here is the first batch of books:

- Guiding Icarus: Merging Bioetchics with Corporate Interests, by Rahul K. Dhanda

- Coolhunting: Chasing Down the Next Big Thing, by Peter Gloor and Scott Cooper

- Your 24/7 Online Job Search Guide, by Lamont Wood

- Career Opportunities in Clinical Drug Research, by Rebecca J. Anderson

- Bioinformatics for Dummies, by Claverie and Notredame

- Reinventing the Future: Conversations with the World's Leading Scientists, by Thomas Bass

- Integrity in Scientific Research: Creating an Environment that Promotes Responsible Conduct, by the National Academies Press

- The Project Manager's Partner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Project Management, by Michael Greer

Keep in mind that we seek a real commitment here. I want our reviewers to read the book and write up the short review and keep the thread running with at least three "learnings" from the book. I'd say that 30 days is about right in terms of timetable for your review and post.

You're free to keep the book and all the friends you make after your effort.

Thanks,

Dave Jensen,

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Nice idea to build traffic and provide a learning opportunity for forum members. I will send you an email.

Thank you C.E. Oddly, the emails are coming to my regular email address, where they stand a great chance of getting lost in my already overloaded email system. If you could write me via the internal (SC Forum) email system, that would be appreciated!

Just go to the User Control Panel, look me up and send a private message.

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Two of these books are already spoken for, so the list now includes these titles:

- Guiding Icarus: Merging Bioetchics with Corporate Interests, by Rahul K. Dhanda

- Coolhunting: Chasing Down the Next Big Thing, by Peter Gloor and Scott Cooper

- Career Opportunities in Clinical Drug Research, by Rebecca J. Anderson

- Reinventing the Future: Conversations with the World's Leading Scientists, by Thomas Bass

- Integrity in Scientific Research: Creating an Environment that Promotes Responsible Conduct, by the National Academies Press

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

C'Mon readers . . . there are some great books in this short list, including one from Cold Spring Harbor Press, and you know those aren't cheap!

Two books are on their way to reviewers this week. Do we have any other takers?

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Books left for volunteers in the SC Forum book review program. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the book for review. It's yours to keep -- brand new books. Just post the review online here and pay attention to the thread. The focus is on what you learned, and interesting points that others will find of interest,

Dave

- Finance and Accounting for Nonfinancial Managers, by Droms.

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Share: