Clear all

Future Career Objectives

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
18.3 K Views
(@hatem-elif-kamber-kaya)
Topic starter  

One of the most complicated questions to ask a postdoc is about where they see themselves in the next 5 to 10 years. In my opinion, this is an outdated and a cliché question for a person in academia, mostly because an academic career is tumultuous and unforeseeable.

Most postdocs start their positions with their eyes on the prize, a tenure-track position at a prestigious university. I was the same. I had a successful PhD and then started as a postdoc at Harvard Medical School. I was ticking all the right boxes until I had a baby and then left my position to start over at another university so that I could support my husband’s career. This was not the right route for an academic career (not according to me), because of the ‘breaks’ that I had to give, due to my maternity leave and leaving my coveted postdoc position. I was considered to be ‘unproductive’ due to these events, which negatively affected my resume. Then I thought maybe my university/department would value and support me to reach my goals. That didn’t happen either. People in academia made me feel that I didn’t check enough boxes to become a faculty member when all I wanted and worked for was that. I did not agree with them, so I had to leave.

I have experienced inequality in science first-hand throughout my postdoc years. And one day, it just felt enough, I could not bear this unfairness anymore and decided to leave academia, something I never thought I would do. I felt quite nervous while doing so, as I have been in academia for so long and it was my comfort zone. But after I processed my feelings, I felt this relief of not worrying about my future, about my paper being published, or getting a fellowship/grant or the next position. These all may sound a little bitter but this has been my journey and I am thankful for every single of the events that happened to me, positive or negative because it led me to this decision, which I think was the best for me at the time.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t stop here. Being a postdoc does not only mean working hard and rowing against the current but also means not being paid enough, and (depending on the school) not having benefits or a work-life balance. I didn’t think of these when I was 20-something years old PhD student, but now in my mid-thirties, it is important to have stability and comfort in your life. Unfortunately, staying in academia has not provided those to me, which left me no choice but to leave. I am grateful for all these years of research, knowledge, and my amazing mentors but now I am on a different but a better path, thanks to academia and its flaws.

This topic was modified 11 months ago by Vic Kramer
This topic was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Vic Kramer

DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Dear Hatem,   Consider this a public letter to you. 

You will find similar experiences in the corporate world - trading career for family time - can put strain on career ambitions on both gender fronts.  That said, not be controversial, but factual, usually it is the woman (or the mother) who takes the hit the most, to your point about equality genderwise.

Unfortunately, in the corporate world the exact same situation can happen however that said, it can be easier to recover a career on in this sector vs. academia.  It is sad i used the word "recover".  Because, in these situations there is a some from of starting over where one has to rebuild after a prolonged time away from the job.  

For my family this is why my partner limited her time off from her corporate career - there were factors at play that did allow her to spend time with our newborn at the time for wonderful period at time, but there came an inflection point where she knew (and we both agreed) it was time for her to re-enter the workforce before she was perceived to be "stale" or had to "recover" (i.e. recovery means usually taking a lower position than prior).  

That said, if others read your post, I would say they take great care on that decision to do a post-doc.   After a what can be a long time in a PhD where ex-academia growth and development for skills needed outside academia is stagnated or if not delayed, doing a post-doc, if one is absolutely not convinced a tenure-track position is in focus, is a complete waste of time. Nothing more to be gained in my humble opinion that will be of value non-academically. 

Its why I stayed 1 year in my postdoc, just t retest the waters until I quickly arrived at the answer and quick departed. Exit stage left, immediately.  If anything, as I reflect on my PhD experience, which I realized wasn't really for me during that time, it was a period of time where the world was moving so fast (from cellphone to iphone, from dial-up to fast internet with web teleconferences as Standard Operating proceedure), ..and I was moving and developing personally at snails pace. I suffered a bit.

Academia..is slow. Its...not to be to derogatory at all, but it's..academia.  That said, i had a good Phd with a few papers under my belt thanks to a very supportive PI my dear lab colleagues who hold a special place in my heart. 

What i needed to survive outside wasn't up to par to what I needed ex-academia and well this i knew as I was doing community work in my spear time and had first hand insight into another sector where I saw a host of other skill sets that was necessary.   Now for those who are want to move fast and keep pace with the world as its moving today,  imagine doing a post-doc. Today we are at the fringe of Artificial Intelligence, cars we own can about drive themselves (I don't have to touch my steering wheel or break, just pay attention),  imaging 3 years from now. Imagine starting a post-doc today? is that a good move ? (unless one is passionate).  If you want to be a mover and a shaker in career, probably not. 

There is always time for career rejuvenation and finding happiness. My partner has found a path outside of corporate (ex scientist), though is still at a big pharma as a core platform supporting her new and independent growth ambition.  As for me, I'm looking for my current career exit strategy still but for now remain sufficiently happy for the short to medium term, at least i'm in a spot that is at pace with change my sector drives, I'm looking to be a spot that is outpacing current  speed of change and have a few career options/companies and jobs identified. 

And hey, so awesome you took time for you family, that is time you'll never get back. I've done the same while working, I found my work-life balance. I was lucky to be in positions where I could put my fences up, mark my line in the sand, and firm up areas of no-go.  As a father, I have not miss not one single milestone, step, experience, new skill, success of my fastly growing soon to be no-longer pre-schooler (who can already read).  That is what I am proud of the most. And i did it with 100 percent full time job.    Hope you manage to do the same!

Best,

DX 

ReplyQuote
Share: