Clear all

Changing Jobs During Covid-19

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
31 K Views
(@dr-ulysses-labilles)
Topic starter  

Lateral transfer of highly experienced professionals during the pandemic and when we transition to the endemic phase may create a long-term implication for the labor market. There will be a career shock to new graduates transitioning from school to work and people thinking of finding a job for a career change as they compete with highly experienced professionals and retirees returning to the workforce. Rejigging the organizational structure to recover what is lost during the pandemic, an impact of a chance event gives spots for accomplished, retired MDs, master or Ph.D. level professionals who could contribute beneficially to the organization's future survival. If you are currently employed, is it the right time to test the waters with the impending doom of a recession? If you have the experience that could be an asset to any organization, why not? But, if you are planning for a career transition where you do not have anything to offer to the organization, then you will be in the same situation as those with lower skills who lost their jobs during the pandemic. There are five central theoretical perspectives of career transitions: career stage, decision-making, adjustment, relational, and identity. The combination of adjustment and decision-making is the current emerging trend that could linger until we transition from pandemic to endemic.

According to Howe et al. (2021), post-pandemic organizational considerations and actions require critical questions to answer. While the question on the capacity to maintain or rehire individuals employed before the pandemic, can the organization be able to hire new employees? The ramification of the pandemic regarding organizational considerations and actions is the paradigm shift in motivating current employees to remain loyal through advancement opportunities and re-entry of expatriates. The complete interruption caused by the pandemic calls for organizational measures such as training or re-training existing employees for advancement opportunities and strengthening intra-organizational career resilience, making it unusually competitive for new graduates or individuals testing the waters for a career change. Resilience is often a topic of conversation as we face continued disruptions brought about by the pandemic and today's turbulent economic environment exacerbated by the war in Ukraine and the impending recession. As major banks upgraded their forecasts of the possibility of a recession over the next year, retirees may be lured to offers from former employers to return since they still have a lot to offer for long-term organizational success. According to the New York times, analysts at Goldman Sachs put the probability of a recession at 30 percent, and economists at Bank of America predict a 40 percent chance of a recession in 2023. Therefore organizations must understand and respond to the multiple paradigm shifts on providing and refreshing skillsets, organizations sponsoring loyal employees in skill development opportunities. Efforts to invest in its people will increase the likelihood of employees staying and being more productive for the organization.

References
Akkermans, J., Seibert, S. E., & Mol, S. T. (2018). Tales of the unexpected: Integrating career shocks in the contemporary careers literature. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 44(1), 1-10.
Howe, D. C., Chauhan, R. S., Soderberg, A. T., & Buckley, M. R. (2021). Paradigm shifts caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizational Dynamics, 50(4), 100804.
Sullivan, S. E., & Al Ariss, A. (2021). Making sense of different perspectives on career transitions: A review and agenda for future research. Human Resource Management Review, 31(1), 100727.

This topic was modified 11 months ago by Vic Kramer
This topic was modified 1 month ago by Vic Kramer
This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Vic Kramer

DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

There are some real BS articles coming on the forum, this is one of them. 

Where did they pull this poster out from? 

Zero relevance to the Life Science and in particular my pharmaceutical sector. If anything the pharma sector survived well and experienced continued growth in the pandemic. 

Any job related loss or organization changes are driven by a host of other factors..not the COVID 10 pandemic.  This poster is writing stupid stuff. 

As for retired MDs or PhDs who can contribute..trust me they retired for a reason and no amount of compensation or so call mission to save any corporate organization is getting them back (they'll get the so called "birdy" flipped in their direction).  And the organization, is pretty smart, they would (the people inside taking the decisions) know very well not to contact someone who has exited stage left......  Those who are there are there, thats the talent pool.  (And a good and well stocked pool it is, contrary to what this poster is saying). 

Additional, this BS language of company's must do this, must do that... Listen..companys must do the big fat nothing. See my point on available talent.  I work for a small pharma, it does not hire people without the right experience, in fact its pretty clear its not training anybody now. The training is the job. Get it done. (and actually fantastic training actually..get it done or else, no better way to learn, it give us the resources to deliver and execute forthwith, no ponying around, its why i joined..the mantra is execute).  It does NOT care about young talent, it actually considers them a waste of time and investment a this point, they acknowledge maybe later such item will come into scope.   We know that 80 percent of our HQ work force is from the above 40 and range to 60 and above (!).  This is on purpose, it does not want newbies, it wants experience executers to run in an deliver from day 1 of hire...no 20 year old or 30 year old can do that.  They'll keep pulling in the people like nearing 20 or more years experience...like me.  Which i see is a nice anti-agism trend, I see in the pharma sector more and more silver haired folks stick around and being competitive for jobs (more recent view of field force, i.e. sales show alot of plus 50 years old sales reps, why..because they know very well how to do their job and build relations than than a 20 year old, and the RUN from day 1, not this antiquated train for 6 months and deliver over 2 years phisolophy, people are getting labels of experienced dinosaur with under 1 year in a company..that how fast things are moving).  

That's the reality, if anything the pharma sector due to other forces is becoming more nimble and agile and lean, its consolidating organization wise to reduce complexity, and to then drive forward in a new world order of the health-care landscape. This is not about COVID or other factors.  The already experienced folks are well positioned and well there are alot of us. If anything a great time for lateral moves and seeking opportunity for experienced folks. 

Pharma sector has a way of being one of those recession proof industries (and clearly pandemic proof) which this poster is not clear on. 

The challenge then is for younger folks in this setting, cleary a company with the profile I work for is not for them..but ..there are many others..and paths to entry.  

But please Biocareers forum.. filter your posts. This one is garbage. 

DX 

ReplyQuote
Share: