Notifications
Clear all

Benefits of Industry Postdoc or Internship

1 Posts
1 Users
1 Likes
(@susan-richards)
Topic starter  

The decision to pursue a career in academia or industry can be a difficult one. When approaching this fork in the road, you may wish the diverging paths had streetlamps to illuminate the prospects in each direction. I hope my experiences and observations can highlight some considerations and insights that simplify your choice.

Some people are confident about their ultimate destination of industry or academia. Others may know their desired route but aren't sure how to start the journey. For those who are intent on industry, as well as anyone still looking both ways, I highly recommend an industry internship and/or Postdoctoral Fellowship. Many companies and organizations offer these mutually beneficial opportunities to recent graduates and students finishing their undergraduate or graduate degree.

Even if your background allows you to jump into an entry level position, consider the benefits of additional training and guidance provided by an industry postdoc or internship. For students with flexible time, an internship may count towards completion of course credits or lab work. A summer opportunity between classes or a multiple year contract after graduation can help achieve goals and start a career. Jobs for new graduates with little “real world” experience can be tough to find, and an industry postdoc was instrumental in allowing me to enter the corporate world and make meaningful contributions in an area unfamiliar to me before graduation.

These positions often have a finite term, unlike some academic postdocs. For people unsure if industry is right for them, a limited-time role should provide insights about their preferences and the realities of business. The shorter time frame allows anyone who remains undecided to pivot to different industry areas or consider alternatives in academia.

My Postdoctoral Fellowship at a global biotechnology company became a definitive milestone that shaped the next decade of my career and life. This opportunity expanded my horizons in multiple ways, from moving me across the country to introducing me to a field in which I had no prior involvement. The skills, knowledge, colleagues, friends, confidence, support, and resilience I gained as a new scientist within this framework prepared me for my next two industry jobs and continue to enrich my life.

One of the first lessons I learned was the constantly shifting nature of the biotech industry. A few months into my contract, I was transferred to a different group due to revised priorities. While I was nervous about this unexpected change, I accepted the challenge and grew as a scientist and a person. Even without such a shift, there are many chances to learn more about the company and industry, from exposure to corporate culture, management, and daily operations to understanding of department functions and processes in your field and beyond.

Another important perk of an industry internship or postdoc is the development of professional and personal connections. If other people are in the program, you have access to peers at a similar career stage and with related interests. Company-wide postdoc or intern meetings can introduce you to associates in diverse areas. Regular interaction with teammates, mentors, and coworkers is an ideal way to build a strong network of reliable contacts who know you and are willing to provide future support.

When your contract ends, you might be able to apply for another position at the company. A hiring team may prefer a familiar, previously evaluated person over a similarly qualified external candidate. Whether or not extending your employment is an option, the completion of an industry internship or postdoc is a valuable addition to any C.V. or resume. Students can demonstrate their initiative to obtain practical training, cultivate soft skills, balance competing workloads, and incorporate these accomplishments into their schoolwork. Recent graduates can advance their careers by featuring their industry achievements and ability to adapt to a business environment during their job search, which will help them stand out over applicants with only an academic background.

There are many new and exciting undergraduate majors and graduate degrees, especially in science, biomedical research, and public health, that were not available even ten years ago. Students pursuing these cutting-edge fields will have a solid educational foundation on which to build their career and evolve into a strong candidate for an industry internship and/or postdoc. Upcoming and recent graduates should be encouraged that more industry Postdoctoral Fellowships and internships are being offered each year. This expansion confirms the value of these opportunities for both forward-thinking companies and the next generation of motivated talent and inspirational leaders.

Even after an industry postdoc or internship, it may take time, research, and reflection to find your next right job. Whether you continue down the industry road or decide academia is the place for you, the experience gained and connections made are powerful tools that you can utilize throughout your career and life.

This topic was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Vic Kramer
This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Vic Kramer

Share: