Notifications
Clear all

The wait is over. I got a job!

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@marielena-mata-ph-d)
Topic starter  

Job searching is humbling to say the least but the worst part is the wait.  You have developed the skills; you have crafted your CV and cover letters; you have applied to the jobs; you interviewed and now you wait.  It has been six months since I lost my job and the wait for that call to confirm I got an offer were the worst 2.5 weeks.  It is not uncommon to begin to doubt yourself and overthink it but you have to learn to work with the uncertainty. 

At this time, I can’t say much about the new role but it was the perfect role for me.  It leverages my experience and has a couple of new and exciting pieces that will allow me to continue to grow.  I was able to negotiate the offer and received a fair counteroffer.  In the end, what matters to me is that I am excited about the role, the science and the team and in a few weeks, I will be back working and loving what I do. 

Since I have touched on offer negotiations, perhaps we should discuss a little bit.  I am asked frequently about negotiations: what do you negotiate? How do you know what to ask for? Can you even negotiate in your first role? The answers vary widely depending on the role, the actual offer and a number of circumstances.  For starters, you should be familiar with salaries in your region, industry and role/level.  There are now a number of sites that post salaries such as GlassDoor.  In some states, it is also required that a salary range is included in the job listing (California, where I live, is one of them and it made the whole process so much easier).  In addition to salaries, there are other benefits that come in compensation packages like bonuses, long term incentives and signing bonuses that are available at certain levels.  Add to it, health insurance, vacation, sick leave, relocation packages and you can see how it can be overwhelming to know what is negotiable.  In my experience, things that are standardized (health insurance, time off, 401K matches, etc) are harder to negotiate and it is easier to discuss things like base salaries, signing bonuses and relocation packages.  Once you figure out from an offer, which one of these falls short of your realistic expectations, based on your research, you can ask with a counteroffer.  There is no magical trick to get what you want but keeping things realistic is a great way to start.  For example, I have asked in the past for increases in the base salary and signing bonuses.  Like in any negotiation, you probably won’t get everything you asked for so be prepared to know what is your minimum acceptable offer and be grateful in all your interactions, whether you choose to accept an offer or not.  Congratulations! Now that you have a job, the fun begins…

As you embark on this new adventure in your career, it is my time to say adieu.  I have enjoyed sharing my job search journey with you and share some tips in the process.  Remember why you started your career as a scientist and keep that front and center.  Remain curious, keep learning and when the time comes, share your experiences with the next generation of scientists. 

Share: