Clear all

Why should I hire you???

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Here's an article from my Contract Pharma column, "Managing Your Career," which has a strong content focus for readers of our BioCareers forum. This is copyrighted and should not be used other than for forum discussion:

Why should I hire you?

By David G. Jensen

It’s the single biggest concern looming behind the success of your job search, the million-dollar question. “Why should I hire you?” lies behind every decision potential employers make, first about your CV and then about you as a person. But you’ll rarely hear it asked aloud. And, when I talk to applicants leaving academia and exploring their options in the outside world, I find it’s rarely on their minds—to their detriment.

Clearly you need to develop the technical skills that will make you a good hire. But that’s a given. Beyond that, there’s a whole other world of skills—some call them “soft” skills—that you need to consider in order to craft a compelling answer to those five words.

Knowing what you’ve got and how to talk about it

Many soft skills are important to job search and career success, but for now, we’ll focus on three main categories: verbal communication, writing, and negotiation. Verbal communication includes one-on-one conversations, oral presentations, listening skills, and persuasion abilities. Writing is its own category because it’s so important, and even scientists who communicate well in person can struggle when it comes to creating powerful documents that lead to action. Finally, negotiation is about much more than just job offers; it’s about being able to get a mutually agreed-upon result out of a difficult situation.

Even though these soft skills (and others) are so important for your future career, it’s likely that they’re not on your adviser’s radar—at least not in terms of how they make you a desirable candidate for a non-academic career. That’s because many professors believe their job is to train you for an independent life in research, not to explicitly guide you into a job as teachers do in a trade school. As one professor described it to me years ago, “My job is to provide the underpinnings of an area of technical expertise, and most importantly to provide young scientists with the critical thinking skills that they will need later in their scientific life.” Moreover, many institutions do a woefully poor job of providing information and support to help you develop your soft skills.

In some cases, professors or labmates who are strong in specific soft skill areas can act as mentors. But, for the most part, it’s up to you to make sure that you’re developing your skills in these areas—as early in your training as possible. These specific suggestions can help you get started.  

Communication skills. To improve your one-on-one communication skills, you could look into participating in your local postdoc or grad student association, or be on the social committee for a national conference. Extend yourself! For presentations, making your point technically is one thing; carrying an audience along to a different way of thinking is a skill to be developed as early as possible. To start down that road, treat every single opportunity to talk to a group as a valuable experience. Don’t throw a few slides together without thinking of the key points you’d like to make and how you’d like to express them. I find it valuable (and sometimes refreshing) to do a presentation in front of a white board first, without slides at all—it teaches me very quickly which slides are necessary and what I can do without. (Several of my best presentations originated as talking points in a free flowing white board session.) You can also pursue more formal communication training through groups such as Toastmasters International or excellent (but sometimes expensive) training from companies like the Dale Carnegie organization.

Writing skills. Collaborations with other scientists are a great way to develop your writing skills—but you have to pay attention. When your colleagues and PI work on something you’re written, make sure that track changes is on. Then, study their specific edits and consider how they improve the document. When reading others’ writing, think about what works well and how you could implement it in your own writing. Also, your university’s career development office—even those focused on undergraduates—will likely offer general writing classes, and grant writing classes are often available as well.

Negotiation skills. Students and postdocs almost always neglect this category. But with some attention and practice, you can avoid falling into the trap of discovering too late that you really need to know more about the dance that takes place around a negotiation. It’s not just job offer negotiation -- you can learn good negotiation skills just by being the kind of person who helps to bring a positive result out of difficult situations. Have you ever worked with lab mates and your adviser when there’s a disagreement about who deserves first author status on a publication? Use such situations to your advantage, as you can learn so much about negotiation by bringing about a positive outcome in any daily situation. For more formal training, I frequently see negotiation training offered at scientific congresses, at some universities as formal classwork, and in short-form seminars conducted by outside training organizations.

These are just starting points. The lesson is to get out there and intentionally develop the skills that will make it easy for you to answer that million-dollar question.

Highlight your value

Developing those skills is undeniably a crucial first step toward being able to provide a convincing answer to our question of the month. But the next step is, well, actually answering the question—even when it’s not being asked explicitly, which is most of the time. In many cases, the first place you’ll provide that answer is in your CV. A reader looking over your CV is in essence asking you, “Why should I hire you?” You’ve got to hit them over the head with the answer—this is not a time to be subtle.

The cover letter is a great place to start, because people actually read those (at least the well-written one pagers), and I’ve addressed this topic in other articles. But the cover letter’s job is really to generate interest in the enclosed CV, and that’s where you will want to tie in a connection to the “why should I hire you” question.

I’m always surprised when some job seekers get totally confused as I request a “fine-tuned” CV for a particular job description. They often come back wondering what I mean. To some of them it almost seems unethical to change their CV to suit a job. That’s not the case! This is where it pays to be flexible. You have a long list of skills and knowledge areas, correct? Well, just like a good cook, you must toss and scramble those ingredients one way for one job, while highlighting completely different ingredients in another application.

Moreover, too many young scientists consider themselves to be a laundry list of skills, forgetting that it’s what they can dowith those skills that makes them worth hiring. That’s where a nice summary statement will make sense at the top of your CV. It’s powerful, succinct language that is worth the time to get right—and needs to be customized for each job you apply for. More than anywhere else, it’s in this three to four sentences that you’ll provide the major answer to the question, “Why should I hire you?”

Dave Jensen, CEO and Founder, CareerTrax Inc (CTI Executive Search)

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Dick Woodward
(@dick-woodward)
Member Registered

Great post and topic, Dave. I think that you might hear the question "why should I hire you" explicitly more often than you may think. I have often used this as my last question to a candidate in an interview - and it is remarkable how unprepared most candidates are to answer this.

When searching for start-up funding, a key element is the "elevator speech" - 30 seconds where you can describe the company to get an investor interested. Every candidate should also have an "elevator speech", although it might be called "the other side of the desk" speech. Basically, it should answer the question "why should I hire you". Unlike a start-up's speech, which is pretty much the same for all investors, the candidate's answer should be specific for the job and the company.

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Hi Dick,

Good analogy. The "we need money" elevator speech adapted to the "Why should I hire you?" question . . . something everyone coming out of school needs to have!

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Hi Dave,

Good post after a while of inactivity. Hoping you see more action in 2022.

That said a couple comments.

1. I think the "why should I hire you question" is really 3 buckets.  Two you have covered. And is about answering the question that's on the hiring manager's head.  The are:

A. can you you do the job.   B. will you like the job.    and C.  do I want to work with you.

We spend alot of time on A.  less time on B. and almost never on C.   

On the C:  ":do I want to work with you front"|, I make sure I place that in my interview processes not matter which side of the table I'm on.  It's like the "dating" part of the interview - I set my expectations across many domains (from work-style to performance to team work), I leave room for the candidate or the hiring manager to state their view and see if there is a match.    I'll leave B out for my reply. 

2. Regarding soft-skills. 

I think really it's fundamentally a key set of skills we talk about, but I have evolved, I've come to realize its only..ONE PILLAR of what is really being discussed.  And a key Pillar that has some more weighting in some jobs (i.e. sales where soft-skill competencies are the foundational part of a Selling Model) and is a big contributing pillar among many other supporting pillars as one moves in-house and starts to climb the ranks. 

The other pillars include Leadership Competencies, Political saavyness (how, when and if, to say it), Stakeholder management (you briefly mentioned it but soft-skills support that pillar also), among some others.  And these pillars hold up something that is the true crux of many hiring decisions... the really HARD item we're really talking about here that can make or brake you - its the stuff of making heros become heros, or making heros become zeros!  

Its: Diplomacy.     

Or ability to be a diplomat - a harmonizer of sorts.  And that is the fundamental competency that brings all them soft-skills, leadership competencies, saavyness and so on, to include technical acumen.  

This is the stuff we talk after the interview - it looks something like "will this person represent "me"well, or the team, or will they "fit".      I've seen many folks across the interview table come it, they click alot of them buckets, i.e. technical ability, hell even showing soft-skills.  but then, something is not reasonating - its that ...diplomacy ability "thing" that pops up, and then there is the gut check (see item C above). 

Anyways, hope it helps - as i'm in an official mentoring capacity (unpaid, like you i don't believe in getting paid for where I should be sending the elevator back down, should I have the time that is)  - this is the stuff i'm most queried about and where my mentees are frequently looking to talk.  Less so the technical or even soft-skills..its the diplomacy stuff they really getting at. 

Best DX 

This post was modified 2 years ago by DX

ReplyQuote
Share: